This is a full-time entry level maintenance position. The HRA is looking for a self-motivated person who is thorough, reliable, mechanically inclined, can problem solve, can work well independently and as a member of a team, has the ability to work well with a diverse population and a strong interest in customer service. Prior housing experience is a plus.
Duties and responsibilities
Performs custodial/janitorial work.
- Performs required tasks to maintain buildings and grounds in a safe and sanitary condition.
- Conduct daily inspections of assigned building, grounds and equipment; identify and report any repairs or hazards.
- Perform routine maintenance and repairs as directed.
- Assist in the preparation of units for re-rental.
- Document and respond to service calls as assigned.
- Maintain grounds throughout seasonal changes: lawn care, landscaping and snow/ice removal.
- If assigned, monitor boiler operations per state regulations. Perform needed boiler repairs and adjustments immediately.
Develops and maintains effective working relationships.
- Develops and maintains good working relationships with HRA staff, residents and the public.
- Explains procedures, respond to inquiries and assists in resolving issues, complaints and/or refers to appropriate staff.
Performs other duties as assigned.
Note: The above is illustrative of the descriptions of the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. It is not intended to be inclusive of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required for this position. Any information acquired through employment at the Housing & Redevelopment Authority of Duluth is to remain confidential.
Knowledge, skills and abilities necessary for success include:
- Knowledge of general building safety and maintenance skills.
- Knowledge of and ability to properly use: maintenance tools, equipment and supplies.
- Knowledge of applicable laws and regulations regarding privacy and confidentiality and the ability to implement laws and regulations.
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written direction.
- Ability to express information and instructions clearly whether by phone, correspondence or personal contact; keep accurate records.
- Ability to work independently, organize workload and manage time effectively.
- Ability to exercise good judgment, perform work in a courteous and diplomatic manner and establish and maintain harmonious working relationships.
- Ability to work effectively with people of all social and economic backgrounds.
Education and work experience required:
- High School graduate or GED; and
- One year work experience in a related field; or
- Any combination of education and/or work experience as may be acceptable by the Executive Director.
- Must be able to physically perform the basic life operational functions of climbing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, walking, pulling, lifting, fingering, grasping, talking, hearing, and performing repetitive motions.
- Must be able to perform heavy work exerting 100 pounds of force occasionally, 50 pounds frequently, and 20 pounds constantly.
- Must be able to possess the visual acuity to read and prepare reports, and view a computer terminal.
- Persons with mental or physical disabilities are eligible for this position as long as they can perform the essential functions of the job after reasonable accommodation is made to their known limitations. If the accommodation cannot be made, because it would cause the employer undue hardship, such person may not be eligible.
Valid Driver’s License is required. Employees assigned to monitor boiler operations must have or obtain within the specified period of time and thereafter maintain the operating license designated by management.
Wages and benefits:
The HRA offers a competitive wage starting at $17.74/hr. The benefit package, in the current contract, includes health, dental, flexible spending plan, life insurance, long term disability insurance, vacation, holiday, personal, and sick leave, as well as an employer paid retirement plan.
How to apply:
Applicants must submit a completed HRA Employment Application (see download link on this page) and return to the HRA Central Office:
Housing and Redevelopment Authority of Duluth, MN
222 East Second Street
Duluth, MN 55805
Candidates selected for interview will be notified by email or phone.
All Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, familial status, marital status, receipt of public housing, sexual preference, political affiliations or participation in our local human rights commission.
NOTE: ALL APPLICANTS WILL BE REQUIRED TO DEMONSTRATE THEIR ABILITY TO MEET THE MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS.