Full Time (7.5 hours/day)
Anticipated Starting Date
Amp 1, 1502 E 1st Street, 55812, Duluth, MN, US
$ 20.87/Hour - $ 23.76/Hour
Accepting applications through:
Under the direction of the Property Manager and Lead Maintenance Mechanic, responsible for the overall maintenance and repair of assigned properties and equipment.
Duties and responsibilities
Performs a wide variety of maintenance duties required to maintain buildings, grounds, and equipment.
- Completes daily and emergency service calls within established time frames; making necessary repairs to keep buildings, structures and equipment in safe and sanitary condition.
- Maintains records of all maintenance service calls, including outcome, materials used and time involved, through the work order system.
- Performs maintenance and repair work as directed. Areas of responsibility include, but are not limited to, structural, mechanical, plumbing, HVAC, electrical, painting, carpentry, cleaning and grounds keeping, as well as routine and preventative maintenance.
- Prepare units for re-rental within the established time frame.
- Maintain grounds throughout seasonal changes: lawn care, landscaping and snow/ice removal.
- Call back duty as assigned. Assist in maintaining an after hours on-call response system and must be available to take emergency calls on a rotating basis.
- If assigned, monitor boiler operations per state regulations. Perform needed repairs/adjustments immediately.
Develops and maintains effective working relationships.
- Develops and maintains good working relationships with HRA staff, residents and the public.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with agencies and vendors providing services and materials.
- Assists in resolving maintenance issues, complaints and/or refers to appropriate staff; respond to inquiries and explains procedures.
Performs other duties as assigned.
Note: The above is illustrative of the descriptions of the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. It is not intended to be inclusive of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required for this position. Any information acquired through employment at the Housing & Redevelopment Authority of Duluth is to remain confidential.
- Must be able to physically perform the basic life operational functions of climbing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, walking, pulling, lifting, fingering, grasping, talking, hearing, and performing repetitive motions.
- Must be able to perform heavy work exerting 100 pounds of force occasionally, 50 pounds frequently, and 20 pounds constantly.
- Must be able to possess the visual acuity to read and prepare reports, and view a computer terminal.
- Persons with mental or physical disabilities are eligible for this position as long as they can perform the essential functions of the job after reasonable accommodation is made to their known limitations. If the accommodation cannot be made, because it would cause the employer undue hardship, such person may not be eligible.
Knowledge, skills and abilities necessary for success include:
- Knowledge of the trade skills necessary to maintain property, including, but not limited to structural, mechanical, plumbing, HVAC, electrical, painting, carpentry, cleaning and grounds keeping.
- Knowledge of the materials, methods, practices and tools used in general building maintenance operations and safety.
- Knowledge of applicable laws and regulations regarding privacy and confidentiality and the ability to respect laws and regulations.
- Knowledge of basic computer programs as they relate to department use.
- Ability to assess work situations, take assignments, and coordinate tasks to completion within established time frames.
- Ability to work effectively and productively without close supervision.
- Ability to express information and instructions clearly whether by phone, correspondence or personal contact.
- Ability to work independently, organize workload and manage time effectively.
- Ability to perform duties with journeyman skills in one or more trades.
- Ability to safely operate power tools and other equipment used in maintenance and the repair of buildings and apartments.
- Ability to exercise good judgment, perform work in a courteous and diplomatic manner and establish and maintain harmonious working relationships.
- Ability to work effectively with people of all social and economic backgrounds.
Valid Appropriate Driver's License is required. May require possession of appropriate level operating engineer's license as determined by the boiler psi and horsepower ratings of the property in which a vacancy exists
Education and work experience required:
- High School or Trade School graduate.
- Two years work experience in maintenance work or a related field.
- Any combination of education and work experience as may be acceptable as equivalent by the Executive Director.
Wages and benefits:
The HRA offers a competitive wage starting at $20.87/hr. The benefit package, in the current contract, includes health, dental, flexible spending plan, life insurance, long term disability insurance, vacation, holiday, personal, and sick leave, as well as an employer paid retirement plan.
How to apply:
Applicants must submit a completed HRA Employment Application (see download link on this page) and return to the HRA Central Office, 222 East Second Street, Duluth, MN 55805.
Candidates selected for interview will be notified by email or phone.
All Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, familial status, marital status, receipt of public housing, sexual preference, political affiliations or participation in our local human rights commission.
NOTE: ALL APPLICANTS WILL BE REQUIRED TO DEMONSTRATE THEIR ABILITY TO MEET THE MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS.